Thursday, July 22, 2004

Much Ado About Artists Opinions

Sometime back I received an email being circulated about the intellectual achievements of many of the currently popular entertainers--darn, I wish I had kept it. Many have had no education beyond high school and indeed some had even found that too intellectually challenging to complete. Somehow too many of these personages have decided they have the answers to the most complex issues of the day. The answer is to bash Bush. Now Ronstadt worships Moore and her statements are not accepted  by many people. Moore comes to poor Linda's defense and now Elton John enters with his profound understanding of the USA by complaining that the US Government is using "bullying tactics" to stop dissent by artists. I enjoyed Chrenkoff's commentary today "there are the few enlightened ones (the artists) and there are the masses (us); John and Moore and Co have the freedom to speak, we have the obligation to listen. This is the MTV Constitutional Theory 101. "
Since I do not subscribe to MTV's curriculum, I have no OBLIGATION to listen to the artists trying to impose their views on me. I am capable of reviewing data and coming to a conclusion based on my own knowledge of history,  current events and personal beliefs/ethics. If I pay to listen to a singer or musician, I expect them to sing or play music. I am not interested in a commentary of their personal views unless it is to explain why they like the song they sing or the music they play. If I want news, views, or propaganda; there are many websites that will furnish this and it is my RIGHT to go to the web or not. I have the RIGHT to boycott artists, movies, products or anything else that displeases me without any government oversight. To claim that it is the government's tactics may be partially true since it is the government, as based on the US Constitution that gives ME these RIGHTS. Let the artists rant about their rights to free speech -- I have the right to not listen, to walk out, to boycot and to complain to whomever pays these artists. The payers have the right to fire these artists if they do not support the artist's view and/or realize that their business will suffer since consumers affect the success/failure of the business.
There are a number of artist's whose work I have enjoyed in the past but will no longer buy their records or pay to see their movies. It is not because their views differ from mine, rather it is their arrogance in pushing their views on me when and where it is inappropriate. I will not go to see F9/11 because MM feels it is appropriate to tell the Europeans that I am stupid. Well Michael, I am not so stupid that I would give you two cents of the money I worked for to support your bigoted commentary on my nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment