Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Agreeing with John Kerry--Surprised?, Me Too!

Since I am one of the privileged to have my Email address known to the Democrats, John Kerry still writes to me. Today's letter dealt with the fraud in elections, votes not counted etc. which is the same old "stolen election" rhetoric. He did admit that the teams of lawyers could not come up with sufficient proof to invalidate the results and requested I join him in calling Sen.. Frist and Rep. Hastert to demand the following:
"I urge you to join me in using this occasion to highlight our demand that Congress commit itself this year to reforming the electoral system. A Presidential election is a national federal election but we have different standards in different states for casting and counting votes. We need a national federal standard to solve the problems that occurred in the 2004 election. I will propose legislation to help achieve this."

What I agree with is the need for standards nationwide that will not allow for voting without proper registration, some recognized identification as proof of eligibility to register, voting in district registered, issuing absentee ballots in ample time to reach their destination and be returned by our military serving overseas and a method for time extension, if needed, to allow military votes to be counted. Early voting as allowed in NC allowed me to pick the day and the time I voted. I personally would vote for the paper ballot, completed in ink and counted by scanner. This allows for recounts if needed. I think that each voting area be supervised by a Democrat and
a Republican who both certify the status of scanners before the count starts and at specified intervals during the voting and at the completion of the scanning operation. These simple steps would allow people voting in both major parties to have some assurance that fraud is not occurring.

Kerry is going to propose legislation which in itself is unique considering his record during twenty years in the Senate (perhaps he has a ghost writer) but it will at least be discussed which is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment