Monday, October 03, 2005

SCOTUS

I will wait and see how Harriet Miers proceeds throughout the hearings. I do not know enough about this lady to make a judgement about her. One thing I see as a positive is the fact that she has been an active lawyer mingling with the common people. Someone who is an academic or a currently sitting judge seems to be the choice of many. As a non-lawyer, the idea of someone who has rubbed shoulders with average people, worked in Legal Aid and encouraged other lawyers to work pro bono for persons lacking the finances needed to hire a lawyer may be one of the best
recommendations for her nomination and confirmation. I look forward to the hearings.
I also think the hard won confirmation of Brown and Owens has given us some people of wisdom who will be in a position to serve the districts well. We need qualified people at all levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment