Saturday, August 14, 2004

PROACTIVE Kerry

Kerry said: "I believe I can fight a more effective, more thoughtful, more strategic, more proactive, more sensitive war on terror that reaches out to other nations and brings them to our side and lives up to American values in history."

Much has been said about his choice of 'more sensative war' with which I agree.
However his use of the term proactive to me is confusing. Merriam-Webster defines proactive as:
Main Entry: pro·ac·tive
Pronunciation: (")prO-'ak-tiv
Function: adjective
1 [1pro-] : relating to, caused by, or being interference between previous learning and the recall or performance of later learning
2 [2pro- + reactive] : acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes

In Kerry's nomination acceptance speech, John Kerry said "I defended this country as a young man and I will defend it as President. Let there be no mistake. I will never hesitate to use force when it is required. Any attack will be met with a swift and certain response. I will never give any nation or international institution a veto over our national security. And I will build a stronger American military."

"Any attack will be met with ...response"--is this proactive? Where was he 9/11/01?
We have been attacked!

"I will never give...a veto over our national security" When the administration went to the UN because Saddam had not cooperated with the UN resolutions and the USA was vetoed Kerry criticized President Bush for not continuing with diplomacy. I guess Kerry feels vetos should govern our efforts to protect our national security.

"And I will build a stronger American military." In view of his voting pattern against weapons, military and the funding for our forces in Iraq, I hardly can describe him as proactive.

As far as diplomacy is concerned, his constant criticism of the current coalition
demeans those countries who have made up the multinational force. Of course we have the greatest number of troops, we are the largest country with the largest military despite the fact that Kerry did everything to be proactive to prevent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment